Graphic Design Associate, [COMM- 69], ACLUF, Communications Department, New York , NY
Office: National Offices, New York, NY
Location: New York
Graphic Design Associate [COMM- 69]
American Civil Liberties Union Foundation
Communications Department, New York City, NY
For nearly 100 years, the ACLU has been our nation’s guardian of liberty, working in courts, legislatures, and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBT community, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach. With more than a million members, activists, and supporters, the ACLU is a nationwide organization that fights tirelessly in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and Washington, D.C., for the principle that every individual’s rights must be protected equally under the law, regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin record of arrest or conviction.
The Online Engagement Unit of the ACLU’s Communication Department seeks applicants for a full-time Graphic Design Associate. The Graphic Design Associate reports to the Digital Media Graphic Designer.
The Graphic Design Associate produces high-quality graphics for print materials, social media, other digital distribution channels, and the ACLU website. In addition to producing high-quality graphics, the Graphic Design Associate is responsible for ongoing creation of graphic assets, photo editing, and graphic production assistance for larger scale projects. The Graphic Design Associate is experienced in creating designs in adherence to visual branding identity guidelines.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop familiarity with the ACLU brand.
- Design and produce graphics for use on ACLU websites, social media channels and emails in keeping with graphic design standards, project objectives, and branding guidelines.
- Create reusable graphics templates; modify and resize existing graphics for various platforms and uses; format materials based on specifications.
- Assist with layout of online and print publications, including reports, white papers, and pamphlets; create data visualization graphics for reports, such as tables, charts, etc.
- Create promotional materials for online and print ads and ACLU-branded merchandise.
- Produce layouts and designs for website special features.
- Create and produce other graphics as needed, including presentations, internal communications templates, text cards for videos, infographics, and more.
- Assist with retouching documentary, portrait, and marketing photographs.
- Work with vendors and consultants such as designers, copyeditors, and printers.
- Assist with managing digital asset libraries.
- Perform photo research from archives, publicly available image libraries, and stock agencies; recommend and purchase stock images as needed; track image rights usage.
- Collaborate with staff across the ACLU on graphic design needs.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance.
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant professional experience.
- A minimum of two years of experience in graphic design and digital media; passion for graphic design, color management, and typography
- Professional experience creating graphics for digital and print media.
- Experience with publication design and layout for digital and print is desired.
- Basic HTML experience preferred.
- Proficient in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.
- Some experience with merchandise design or marketing collateral such as t-shirts, postcards, brochures, digital banners, and ads is preferred.
- Understanding of trends and best practices for using graphics to communicate effectively via digital channels.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills; ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Strong attention to detail, ability to deliver work product under deadlines, and commitment to high quality standards.
- Commitment to the mission of the ACLU.
The ACLU offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within parameters of the ACLU compensation scale.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter, resume and a portfolio of representative work to: hrjobsCOMM@aclu.org. Reference [COMM-69/ACLU-W] in the subject line.
Maimonides Medical Center – Brooklyn, NY
Graphic Designer/Multimedia Coordinator
Reporting to the Director of Marketing & Digital Strategy as part of the External Affairs marketing team.
- Designs brochures and flyers for promotion and handouts at events.
- Creates invitations, signage and digital collateral for events.
- Creates print, digital ads for SEM and traditional advertising campaigns.
- Assists in the creation of print ads and posters
- Designs and handles internal email memos and eNewsletter production and distribution.
- Assists with the creation and development of infographics, multimedia, and other online content.
- Designs, monitors and updates signage for digital screens throughout the hospital and off-site locations.
- Regularly updates website carousel banners.
- Assists in web content updating using internal and vendor CMS
- Creates PowerPoint presentations
Works with the Social Media Manager to assist in the management of the Maimonides YouTube channel.
- Monitors bulletin boards and ensures that corridors and hallways are consistent with branding standards.
- Willingness to train to develop basic photography and multimedia editing skills. (Training provided by MMC)
- Coursework, Certificate, A.S or B.S. degree in Graphic Design, Digital/Multimedia, Communications, Visual Communications, or related field.
- 1-3 years of business experience or recent graduate with solid internship experience.
- Strong design experience with superb attention to detail and quality control.
- Written and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience or willingness to learn Final Cut Pro or similar multimedia editing software
- Understanding of the interplay between traditional design, video content, web marketing and other marketing vehicles.
- Team player who can build effective working relationships, is detail-oriented, and ready to roll up his/her sleeves
- Ideal candidate will demonstrate initiative and drive, and the ability to translate and move plans into action.
- Ability to deliver clear messaging in a focused, innovative and current manner.
- Highly organized, with a strong ability to manage multiple projects in a complex environment.
- Photography, videography, and editing experience helpful, but not required.
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, problem solving, organizational, prioritization, decision-making, and conflict resolution skills.
- Collaborative, strong communicator and listener with sensitivity to multiple styles and perspectives, who is able to build and foster strong relationships with diverse constituencies.
- Knowledge/understanding of the health or health-related industries will be helpful.
- Some experience with HTML helpful, but not required.
Please send resumes and links to portfolio to email@example.com and mention you were referred by Queens College and the TechClub.