Illustration and Its Histories:
New Resources, New Voices, New Directions
A SYMPOSIUM ORGANIZED BY THE ROCKWELL CENTER FOR AMERICAN VISUAL STUDIES AND THE HUNTER COLLEGE DEPARTMENT OF ART AND ART HISTORY
The Symposium will be held online
Friday, March 27, 2020
9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Organized by the Rockwell Center for American Visual Studies at the Norman Rockwell Museum, Stockbridge, Massachusetts, and the Department of Art and Art History at Hunter College, New York City, this one-day interdisciplinary online symposium brings together scholars, curators, and artists who are exploring new approaches to the study of illustration within historical and contemporary frameworks.
As a set of practices and a cultural force, illustration emerged in the 19th century as a new and distinctly modern phenomenon. A vital component of the visual languages of advertising, design, publishing, and entertainment, illustration is omnipresent in modern culture, yet its historical and theoretical specifics have remained relatively unexamined. This symposium aims to bring together researchers and practitioners across multiple fields who are interested in the history, practice, and subjects of illustration, and who want to contribute to the emerging field of illustration studies.
The theme of the symposium’s morning panel on immigration and migration in illustrating is inspired by the Norman Rockwell Museum’s current exhibition, Finding Home: Four Artists’ Stories.
Full Schedule, Info and RSVP here.
For further information, please contact Jana Purdy at email@example.com.
Asian-American Center Accepting Applications:Finalized AAC Student Awards 2020 Flyer
As part of the MoMA/CUNY Partnership, we are happy to announce that the application has been opened for the second iteration of our MoMA/CUNY Student Ambassadors Program! The attached flyer provides a summary of this program, which includes benefits such as networking opportunities and $1,000 stipend. This program is recommended for students interested in learning about the arts, arts education, and arts administration as a potential career.MoMA_CUNY Student Ambassadors Program Flyer
Interested students should submit a résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 20, 2020.
If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please feel free to contact us! We look forward to working with our future ambassadors!
MoMA/CUNY Partnership and Artist Workshops Assistant
Out of Office: Fridays
The Museum of Modern Art
11 W 53rd St
New York, NY, 10019
Utopia Parkway Journal is the Undergraduate Literary Journal of Queens College and is currently open for submissions of visual art for its 2020 edition. Utopia Parkway is also in need of a visual art piece for its front cover.
I’m reaching out to ask if you could send a mass email to notify art majors and minors of this opportunity to contribute to the QC literary and artistic community by submitting their artwork (and literary work!) to Utopia Parkway for consideration to be published.
Below is a link to our website, detailing submission guidelines:
On 6 February 2020, the world’s first ever fashion show centered around the globally sustainable supply chain will take place on the actual runway at John F. Kennedy international airport [WATCH PREVIEW VIDEO]. A joint venture between DHL Express U.S. and famed catwalk producer Jessica Minh Anh, J Winter Fashion Show 2020 will highlight sustainability in a creative way. The high-profile event follows the international successes of previous enviro-fashion phenomena atop Hoover Dam, Gemasolar power plant, and Race For Water solar-wind-hydro powered vessel [Watch Iconic Catwalks].
We have 2 types of internship opportunity for your students and graduates to join this grand spectacular as below:
BACKSTAGE DRESSER / PR ASSISTANT [1 – 6 Feb 2020: 6 full days]: Get backstage training and join the most exciting and hectic backstage on earth! PR assistants will be selected during the process.
VIDEOGRAPHY STORYTELLER [Jan 31, Feb 1, 2, 5, 6]: Gain access to every part of the show preparation and capture behind the scenes photos and videos to tell the history-making event in a creative way.
We have trained thousands of students from top universities in over 20 countries across Europe, Asia, and America. You can WATCH INTERNSHIP VIDEO to see comments from our previous interns for your reference.
APPLICATION & INTERVIEW
Please send me your CV and cover letter today specifying if you are applying for an Videography or a Dresser work experience. Short listed candidate will be invited to an interview at our office at the Chrysler Building, or via Skype Video Conference if you are not located in New York. We have had interns flying in from all over the world for our unique history-making catwalks.
Irene N. For @jessicaminhanh
JMA, Chrysler Building, 405 Lexington Avenue, NY 10174, New York City
12/14, Rond-Point des Champs-Elysées, 75008 Paris
+1 917 970 8907
Learn more and apply to a paid summer internship at the Guggenheim Museum here. Summer interns are provided with a $5,250 stipend for participation in the ten week program. Below is a description of the internship for the Graphic Design department. Deadline is February 7th.
Graphic design is an integral part of the image of the museum. The Graphic Design department is responsible for the design and installation of the museum’s building and exhibition signage, as well as the design and production of various printed materials, including exhibition-related ephemera (e.g., invitations, educational guides, and direct mail), informational brochures, and publications for all museum departments. Please note: when applying, candidates should submit a design portfolio (website or PDF).
Two potential internships at Discovery Communications for this upcoming spring.
Editorial and Social Media Internship:
Digital Design Internship:
List of other internships available at Discovery in New York City:
About Robin Hood
Robin Hood has a 30-year track record and is New York City’s largest poverty-fighting organization. In addition to funding 200 of the best nonprofits serving low-income New Yorkers, we amplify financial support with a range of management and real estate assistance. Building on our experience in New York City, Robin Hood is exploring new ways to expand our impact, including an explicit focus on increasing mobility from poverty and new collaborations with strategic partners.
This position is a fantastic opportunity for an early career professional who is talented and enjoys converting text and complicated data into rich visual PowerPoint presentations through infographics and innovative chart design. The primary role requires translating Robin Hood metrics (i.e., Poverty Tracker reports, program reports, sales materials) into a format that can be presented using a compact and creative approach that is accurate, engaging, easily accessible and relevant. The candidate will also provide production support to the Art Director with print and digital projects. Our goal is to create information rich, comprehensible internal communication collateral and compelling external marketing materials that maintain the elevated design standard Robin Hood holds in the market.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assist the Art Director with diverse design deliverables that aim to distill complex concepts and stories into informative and digestible materials that bring clarity and insights to target audiences.
- Collaborate with the Development Team in the creation of sales support materials including PowerPoint presentations and sales sheets.
- Follow rigid brand guidelines while providing design solutions for print and digital communication materials including invitations, flyers, programs, brochures, reports and digital assets for social and web.
- Create clear and compelling presentations from technical information and program analytics by using unique vector icons and manipulated images in photoshop.
- Bachelor’s degree required in Graphic Design/Design Communication with a minimum of two years of relevant experience
- Advanced PowerPoint working knowledge required
- Proficiency in Adobe suite software package particularly InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Must be comfortable with creating unique icons in Illustrator
- Working knowledge of HTML and CSS
- Experience with Mail Chimp and/or related email marketing applications
- Very strong typography skills and design sensibility
- Knowledge of print production and pre-press best practices
- Ability to take and process constructive artistic feedback and work independently
- Data analysis and reporting skills a plus
- Excellent project management skills with good judgment and attention to detail
- Excellent organizational, planning, and time-management skills
- Strong written and oral communications skills
- Self-Starter. Skilled at completing tasks with minimal support
- Customer service orientation and good interpersonal skills
- Team player and collaborator
- Commitment to social change and understanding of poverty-related issues.
- Familiarity with the nonprofit sector, and interest in helping to strengthen nonprofit organizations towards greater effectiveness.
- Must have the ability to multi-task and operate in a fast-paced working environment while meeting deadlines.
- Fluent in Microsoft Office suite, with an emphasis on excellent Outlook, Word, and Excel skills. Experience with Salesforce or other CRM systems preferred.
Robin Hood Values
Our core values ground the work that we do in all areas of our organization. If these principles appeal to you, we invite you to apply.
- Robin Hood puts people first. Always.
- Robin Hood is unafraid to take action and create solutions.
- Robin Hood is data driven and heart led.
- Robin Hood works the coat check.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Robin Hood has excellent benefits and encourages strong work-life balance.
Go here and please complete our online application.
Robin Hood is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.