THE OPPORTUNITY: Assistant Designer will work closely with Creative Director/Exec Art Director to help create high quality designs for both trade hard covers and paperbacks, for middle grade and young adult age level books. In this apprenticeship role, the Candidate will learn the ins and outs of book design and creation. They will be given pre-existing series to design, and assist others on the team with their designs. As skills develop opportunity increases for them to share their creative input and ideas and expand their design work under supervision of Manager. Will assist in managing offsite talent, which includes freelance illustrators, and photographers.
• Assist Manager and Design Team in administrative and design capacity: Draft contracts: process invoices; assist on photoshoots and with projects
• Assist manager in their design tasks, design established series and individual titles under supervision
• Oversee 5-10 book titles per season, not including manager’s projects; traffic materials in a timely way.
• Present ideas to editorial team with Manager supervision for new ideas of design and branding • Attend weekly production meetings, providing updates on title status.
• Work with freelance illustrators and photographers.
• Communicate with outside vendors, illustrators, freelancers.
Who We Are Scholastic Corporation (NASDAQ: SCHL) is the world’s largest publisher and distributor of children’s books, a leading provider of core literacy curriculum and professional services, and a producer of educational and entertaining children’s media. The Company creates quality books and ebooks, print and technology-based learning programs for pre-K to grade 12, classroom magazines and other products and services that support children’s learning both in school and at home. With operations in 14 international offices and exports to 165 countries, Scholastic makes quality, affordable books available to all children around the world through school-based book clubs and book fairs, classroom collections, school and public libraries, retail and online. True to its mission of 100 years to encourage the personal and intellectual growth of all children beginning with literacy, the Company has earned a reputation as a trusted partner to educators and families. Learn more at www.scholastic.com.
Some Benefits That We Offer
• 100% vested of 401(k) Retirement Plan after 5 years employment
• Up to 1M worth of supplemental Life Insurance
• Tuition Reimbursement
• Purchase Scholastic stock at a 15% discount
How You Can Fit
• 0-1 years design experience
• Strong knowledge of typography and a proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite – indesign, photoshop, illustrator.
• Excellent project management skills.
• Ability to work well in a collaborative, team and deadline-oriented environment.
• Proactive. Motivated. Flexible. Fun.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills required for meetings, presentations, and email correspondence.